The Titan of modern development thought: Appcelerator Titanium
Nowadays the developer has a very challenging task – to develop such an application that could work really fast on any platform and would be suitable for any device, whether it is iPhone/iPad or a gadget that runs operational system of android. This mission seems to be impossible, right? Actually it is possible if the developer has a proper development tool at hand that can make the process of application developing and testing plain and simple. Appcelerator Titanium can be considered one of such mobile developing tools.
Appcelerator Titanium: what it is and how it works
Appcelerator Titanium represents the whole system for application developing, testing, building and distributing on all available platforms, including mobile ones. This platform is open with all course codes accessible as well as all instructions as for SDK building for any platform. This is a main difference from the closed AIR-environment and may be key factor when choosing a platform.
As any other development tool, Appcelerator Titanium has its own advantages and disadvantages. Let’s talk about them.
Pros of Appcelerator Titanium:
- Built-in classes for working with file system. Their composed functions are highly developed and that makes the developer’s life easier.
- The project includes all required files such as graphic, HTML-pages. If there is a necessity to implement something outside the application, the developer has API interface at hand, provided by Appcelerator Titanium
- Most of the API is available for all devices, and if some function is absent, it is emulated
Cons of Appcelerator Titanium:
- Multimedia capabilities of Appcelerator Titanium are behind AIR
- Some components of the interface don’t work as well as native counterparts do, for example, large tables with very customized templates
- The frames of Titanium API make the process of adding new platforms difficult. Development of Titanium API for native new platform is a great challenge. Therefore Titanium platform supports only the most basic of modern platforms: iOS, Android and the Web.
How to test Appcelerator based apps
Since the application testing is the significant part of the developer’s work let’s talk about the particular characteristics of the testing of Appcelerator Titanium based applications.
Mental note to the developer (or tester) or three tips how to make the process of testing Appcelerator Titanium based applications easy:
- Don’t use the Titanium namespace for storing your files without the necessity
- Evade global events
- The reuse of the code is highly advisable
There are a lot of testing tools developed to test Appcelerator Titanium based apps. This article will provide you with the basic information about the Ubertesters platform – unique service that makes the process of testing those applications that were written on Appcelerator Titanium plain and simple.
Ubertesters SDK for Apcelerator: what it is and how it works
The specific features of the Ubertesters or what separates this platform from any other application testing services:
- Monitoring and control of the testing process in real time mode. Providing the information about the status of the device at any time.
- Simplifying the process of cross-platform testing by means of supporting multiple platforms.
- Fast and convenient possibility to edit screenshots and submit bugs right from mobile device. Detailed bug reports help the developer to comprehend the concrete issue and subsequently to fix it within the shortest period of time.
- OTA build distribution and test cases support.
- The unique system of monitoring and controlling the testers that are working on the specific project. It gives the project manages opportunity to get the necessary information about any tester, the project he/she is working on, the stage of the project, the tester’s capacity and the level of authorization. It is a perfect feature for tracking the tester’s activity and evaluation the efficiency of their work.
- Automatic crash reports. Indicates all required data about the version of software and type of crash. This helps the developer to analyze the cause of crash and to fix the issues as soon as it is possible.
All the given information gives the right to consider Ubertesters a great testing service that simplify the process of application testing and makes it plain and simple. Check out official documentation.